New GDW+ Total Volume cassette

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Weed (also known as Ginga Legend Weed).
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

New GDW+ Total Volume cassette

Post by Arano »

https://store.tsite.jp/item-detail/huma ... 14237.html

Found this on Twitter. I really like the cover design!

This is an "all volume cassette" that has all of the following manga (copy pasted from the page):

"Ginga Densetsu WEED" 60 volumes (Yoshihiro Takahashi / Japanese literary arts company)
"Ginga Densetsu WEED Orion" All 30 volumes (Yoshihiro Takahashi / Nippon Literary company)
"Ginga Densetsu Weed Gaiden" all 1 volume (Yoshihiro Takahashi / Japan Literary company)
"Ginga Densetsu Riki" all 1 volume (Yoshihiro Takahashi / Japanese literary company)
"Ginga Densetsu Akame" All 5 volumes (Yoshihiro Takahashi / Nihon Shoseni)
Japanese version only

To read it you need you need the cassette body which is this:
https://store.tsite.jp/item-detail/huma ... 14192.html
So I don't think the "cassettes" can be read like a standard SD card.

The brand itself is called Total Volume and they exclusively produce complete manga libraries. This Ginga volume has been released for pre-order along with Naruto.
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Re: New GDW+O all volume cassette

Post by Kasi »

I love the cover design too!
I believe these are limited in sales... From what Google translate is telling me.

I'm still not really sure what a 'cassette' exactly is. Looks interesting, popular in Japan or something new they've come up with I wonder?
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Kasi wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:09 am I love the cover design too!
I believe these are limited in sales... From what Google translate is telling me.

I'm still not really sure what a 'cassette' exactly is. Looks interesting, popular in Japan or something new they've come up with I wonder?
I'm assuming the cassette is just the word they've chosen to use for that kind of storage, like a game cartridge except it's a complete manga library. Because there's so many manga volumes (they've done this for Naruto as well) it makes sense to have a device that you can plug complete libraries into rather than relying on digital downloads. Solves having to have huge internal storage too if you read a lot of manga!

I don't know how long this has been around for but I like the concept.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

I find this rather interesting to have!
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Re: New GDW+ Total Volume cassette

Post by Arano »

I've updated the topic with more info as it's way more than just GDW! There's Orion, 1 Gaiden volume, Riki and the 5 Akame volumes.

I wonder why GNG isn't included in this?
Kuroi
Legend
Legend

Post by Kuroi »

I saw this on twitter and wondered what it might be. Very interesting but also very unusual to me.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Arano wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:57 am I've updated the topic with more info as it's way more than just GDW! There's Orion, 1 Gaiden volume, Riki and the 5 Akame volumes.

I wonder why GNG isn't included in this?
Probably copyright reasons. GNG (and Yoshi's other older works) belongs to Shueisha Inc, the included series belong to Nichibun Comics.

Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Here's info on the reader: https://progresstech.jp/zenkan/index_en.html

Basically an ereader for manga, and each manga is on an SD card (cassette is just a minor mistranslation)
Image Image
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Regnant wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:29 pm Here's info on the reader: https://progresstech.jp/zenkan/index_en.html

Basically an ereader for manga, and each manga is on an SD card (cassette is just a minor mistranslation)
So... it's a dual-screen ebook reader that only does manga and costs roughly $350, and it only works with (I assume) proprietary SD cards that cost $100+ a pop.

I mean, I can see that being useful for serious manga enthusiasts or those who really want to own the volumes but don't have the space to store them, but right now those prices seem a bit steep for it to be much of anything but a novelty.

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Digsu wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:45 pm
Regnant wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:29 pm Here's info on the reader: https://progresstech.jp/zenkan/index_en.html

So... it's a dual-screen ebook reader that only does manga and costs roughly $350, and it only works with (I assume) proprietary SD cards that cost $100+ a pop.

I mean, I can see that being useful for serious manga enthusiasts or those who really want to own the volumes but don't have the space to store them, but right now those prices seem a bit steep for it to be much of anything but a novelty.
$350 for the reader I agree is expensive comparing to a kindle which is half as much, the dual screen and fake pages is novelty to the max. Though... I kinda do like that you can make it feel like a book and add the dust cover of what you're reading to the reader.

However on the flip side the SD itself is an EXCELLENT price considering buying just the complete GDW 60 volume manga on kindle is 25,584 yen (over $200) on amazon.jp. You have to buy it in two steps too - volumes 1-50 is 21,333 and 51-60 is 4,251.
The manga itself is what, $4 a pop new? So for all the manga included in that SD card you would have to have paid the best part of almost $400 for all of them physically.

The reader is a one off expense so I think if you're an avid manga reader this is probably an economical solution.
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Arano wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 3:16 pm
Digsu wrote: Sat Aug 18, 2018 2:45 pm

$350 for the reader I agree is expensive comparing to a kindle which is half as much, the dual screen and fake pages is novelty to the max. Though... I kinda do like that you can make it feel like a book and add the dust cover of what you're reading to the reader.

However on the flip side the SD itself is an EXCELLENT price considering buying just the complete GDW 60 volume manga on kindle is 25,584 yen (over $200) on amazon.jp. You have to buy it in two steps too - volumes 1-50 is 21,333 and 51-60 is 4,251.
The manga itself is what, $4 a pop new? So for all the manga included in that SD card you would have to have paid the best part of almost $400 for all of them physically.

The reader is a one off expense so I think if you're an avid manga reader this is probably an economical solution.
Hmm, fair enough, I guess. I honestly had no idea manga on ebooks really is that expensive (or that you could even buy Ginga for a Kindle :surprisegin: ).

also this is possibly just me but I feel like the cover art looks like something someone threw together in Photoshop in fifteen minutes, but since it's just for the SD card and not the reader itself I suppose it doesn't really matter much.

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Want to do an article about this on Ginga Wiki, but what to call it?

*Ginga Densetsu Weed & Orion eOneBook
*Ginga Densetsu eOneBook

Or something else?
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Tora wrote: Mon Oct 01, 2018 6:42 am Want to do an article about this on Ginga Wiki, but what to call it?

*Ginga Densetsu Weed & Orion eOneBook
*Ginga Densetsu eOneBook

Or something else?
Ginga Densetsu Weed & Orion as that is the product name.
Technically it's Ginga Densetsu WEED Weed & Orion because they translate the romanization in the title (銀牙伝説WEEDウィード&オリオン) XD
Bluey_Madison
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Bluey_Madison »

A little late in responding to this, but looking through the old topics and seeing the demonstration of the eReader, I'm definitely interested in having it in the collection. I do want to ask, though, how does this work? It looks like it operates like a regular Kindle, but it also seems to have pages? Is the paper just for show, like the front cover, or do they have a purpose? Also, would I be able to order these items using FromJapan, or White Rabbit Express?

Thank you very much! :)
man-faced dog
right dog is made by CantaloupeFish, left dog is unknown publisher magazine
:rocket: :jet: :missile: :luke:
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Bluey_Madison wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:26 pm A little late in responding to this, but looking through the old topics and seeing the demonstration of the eReader, I'm definitely interested in having it in the collection. I do want to ask, though, how does this work? It looks like it operates like a regular Kindle, but it also seems to have pages? Is the paper just for show, like the front cover, or do they have a purpose? Also, would I be able to order these items using FromJapan, or White Rabbit Express?

It's basically like a kindle but formatted specifically for manga. The paper you see on the sides is just decoration so it looks good on a shelf. Here's some more info on it and what it looks like https://progresstech.jp/zenkan/index_en.html

I am unsure where exactly to purchase it now, but it would need a proxy most likely. Just note that it's all in Japanese, and you can't use it for anything other than eonebook SD cards to my understanding (specially formatted cards)
Image Image
Bluey_Madison
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Bluey_Madison »

Regnant wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 10:25 pm
Bluey_Madison wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:26 pm A little late in responding to this, but looking through the old topics and seeing the demonstration of the eReader, I'm definitely interested in having it in the collection. I do want to ask, though, how does this work? It looks like it operates like a regular Kindle, but it also seems to have pages? Is the paper just for show, like the front cover, or do they have a purpose? Also, would I be able to order these items using FromJapan, or White Rabbit Express?

It's basically like a kindle but formatted specifically for manga. The paper you see on the sides is just decoration so it looks good on a shelf. Here's some more info on it and what it looks like https://progresstech.jp/zenkan/index_en.html

I am unsure where exactly to purchase it now, but it would need a proxy most likely. Just note that it's all in Japanese, and you can't use it for anything other than eonebook SD cards to my understanding (specially formatted cards)
I figured it was something like that, we haven't invented paper screens yet of course. It might just end up having to be for the Weed + Orion eOneBook, maybe a couple other manga that I like. I don't mind it being in Japanese either, I can still mostly understand the story by now through the pictures, and being able to own it and put it on a shelf will be nice. I'll have a look around and see if there's anything secondhand for the Ginga card. I think I can still get one of the actual readers from the company through one of the proxies that I use. Hope that someone has one to sell that works

Thanks for your help! :bon1:
man-faced dog
right dog is made by CantaloupeFish, left dog is unknown publisher magazine
:rocket: :jet: :missile: :luke:
Nao_Naka

Post by Nao_Naka »

This is so cool!!! Who would have thought Ginga would get such an amazing piece of release!
I agree it is expensive for the reader but tbh, if I could get Ginga and Prince of Tennis in that thing, I would 100% buy it! The cartridges don't seem expensive considering this would be oriented towards long running series.
I hope they make a more affordable version or at least an adaptable cartridges as an SD for buy separately o.o

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Weed”