GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Re: GNG General Questions thread (this topic replaces the spoiler topic)

Post by Kaiken »

Tora wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:14 pm Is it really said in the GNG anime that John is from North America?
They don't speak of John's origins at all in TV series. It's a comic-only thing. However, Hidetoshi always gives John orders in English, and Hidetoshi used to work/live in Tokyo before his father got killed, then he came back to stay in the village apparently.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Kaiken wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:59 pm
Tora wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:14 pm Is it really said in the GNG anime that John is from North America?
They don't speak of John's origins at all in TV series. It's a comic-only thing. However, Hidetoshi always gives John orders in English, and Hidetoshi used to work/live in Tokyo before his father got killed, then he came back to stay in the village apparently.
John's origins aren't discussed in the manga, either. Meteor Gin states that he was born in Tokyo (though GDWO eventually retconned him into being from Finland) and that Hidetoshi gives him commands in English simply because it sounds cool.

Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:07 pm
John's origins aren't discussed in the manga, either. Meteor Gin states that he was born in Tokyo (though GDWO eventually retconned him into being from Finland) and that Hidetoshi gives him commands in English simply because it sounds cool.
Was it really said in GDWO that John's from Finland? It really just said that Andy and John's brother are from Finland, from what's translated, at least.
If it's just Meteor Gin, then that information isn't really canon.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Kaiken wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:41 pm

Was it really said in GDWO that John's from Finland? It really just said that Andy and John's brother are from Finland, from what's translated, at least.
In GDWO volume 19, when Andy is introduced, it's said that John "was born in Finland and still had some siblings there".

Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

So, John born in Finland, raised in Tokyo, and later moved and lived in Akita prefecture.
So no mention of anywhere else, but juset commands in English because is sounds cool. Got it. ^^
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Digsu wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:45 pm
Kaiken wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 4:41 pm

In GDWO volume 19, when Andy is introduced, it's said that John "was born in Finland and still had some siblings there".
Oops, my bad...

So, John was never really canonically from USA. So far I thought the fact got changed later on. This does makes sense.

Hmm...
John was already older than Gin, but his brother's son, Andy, is the same age as Orion, Gin's grandchild. :upsidedown:
Favorites:
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Kaiken wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:42 pm Hmm...
John was already older than Gin, but his brother's son, Andy, is the same age as Orion, Gin's grandchild. :upsidedown:
LOL I guess old dogs are pretty fertile in this world. Makes me wonder why none of the main oldies haven't tried having more kids then.

ImageImage
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Like, Gin got his first litter of Weed and bros at old age. Weed on the other paw got his kids at a young age. So I can very see that John's brother was old. Could be a younger brother for a later litter as well XD
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

In ginga, the dogs follow realistic breeding ages.. aka male dogs can pretty much breed as long as they are alive XD
The series has dogs having cubs at any age, young, old and middle-aged (by ginga standards)
But in GDW the characters seem to be more and more younger when they have pups. Joe was super young when Koshiro was born.. he must be the youngest dad in the series.

And as Tora said, John's brother could definitely be from a different litter. And John's parents could have been young when they had him too. And we have no idea how old Andy's father is either.
Tho I'm not gonna say it's not funny.
:tfw_rigel1:
Image Image
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Tora wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:03 pm Like, Gin got his first litter of Weed and bros at old age. Weed on the other paw got his kids at a young age. So I can very see that John's brother was old. Could be a younger brother for a later litter as well XD
Good point!

ImageImage
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Andy was originally introduced as a "descendant" of John's brother and he referred to John as his ancestor, implying that he's his brother's (great-)grandson, not son.

Of course later on other characters just refer to him as John's nephew, so it's a bit ambiguous what their relation actually is. (For what it's worth, Andy's character bios in both GDW and TLW just call him "John's relative", so it's possible the other characters calling him his nephew is just for simplicity's sakes).

Nexuz

Post by Nexuz »

Guys i need help! I'm doing a thing for school where i'm suppose to analyze a comic/manga. I chose Ginga Nagareboshi gin. I'm doing a size chart with the biggest and smallest dog in gng. I used Oliver as the smallest (because i'm pretty sure he is the shortest fully grown dog in the manga) But i can't decide if Benisakura or Moss is the biggest so i'm wondering what you think and why?? :tfw_orion1:
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Nexuz wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:11 am Guys i need help! I'm doing a thing for school where i'm suppose to analyze a comic/manga. I chose Ginga Nagareboshi gin. I'm doing a size chart with the biggest and smallest dog in gng. I used Oliver as the smallest (because i'm pretty sure he is the shortest fully grown dog in the manga) But i can't decide if Benisakura or Moss is the biggest so i'm wondering what you think and why?? :tfw_orion1:
I think they're meant to be about the same height, but Moss is definitely bigger since he's so overweight.

Nexuz

Post by Nexuz »

Digsu wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:48 am
Nexuz wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:11 am Guys i need help! I'm doing a thing for school where i'm suppose to analyze a comic/manga. I chose Ginga Nagareboshi gin. I'm doing a size chart with the biggest and smallest dog in gng. I used Oliver as the smallest (because i'm pretty sure he is the shortest fully grown dog in the manga) But i can't decide if Benisakura or Moss is the biggest so i'm wondering what you think and why?? :tfw_orion1:
I think they're meant to be about the same height, but Moss is definitely bigger since he's so overweight.
Thank you for the answer!! :tfw_bella2:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Judging by the breed Ben is taller than both of them, as Great dane easily tops mastiffs, but yeah Moss is definitely bigger if measured horizontally with the fatty fat that he is. xD
Favorites:
Nexuz

Post by Nexuz »

Kaiken wrote: Tue Oct 01, 2019 8:03 pm
Judging by the breed Ben is taller than both of them, as Great dane easily tops mastiffs, but yeah Moss is definitely bigger if measured horizontally with the fatty fat that he is. xD
I was thinking Ben at first but then i remembered that when we meet Moss for the first time they say that he is twice as big as Ben, in the anime not sure if they say it in the manga tho... So i kinda assumed they meant height and weight. :tfw_aokabuto1:
But you are right tho if we look at the breeds.
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Nexuz wrote: Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:43 pm
I was thinking Ben at first but then i remembered that when we meet Moss for the first time they say that he is twice as big as Ben, in the anime not sure if they say it in the manga tho... So i kinda assumed they meant height and weight. :tfw_aokabuto1:
Yeah, it was said both in comic and tv series, but I assumed it's measured horizontally, i.e. in volume and muscle mass, not quite height.
Favorites:
Nexuz

Post by Nexuz »

Kaiken wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Yeah, it was said both in comic and tv series, but I assumed it's measured horizontally, i.e. in volume and muscle mass, not quite height.

Yeah now when i have thought about it i think your right. I'm gonna use Ben in the project. Thanks for the help! :tfw_bella2:
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Nexuz wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:43 pm
Kaiken wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:49 pm

Yeah now when i have thought about it i think your right. I'm gonna use Ben in the project. Thanks for the help! :tfw_bella2:

You're welcome :)
Favorites:
werewolf
Potential
Potential

Post by werewolf »

Didn't John's owner give him commands in english?

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”