Total votes: 49

Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Re: (Poll) VHS or DVD?

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

FDQ wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 6:56 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:39 am
FDQ wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:14 am I watched GNG on VHS back when it was first released in Denmark in 1993.

A boy from school brought it with him and we watched the first two volumes in school. I WAS HOOKED IMMEDIATELY and went home and nagged my mom to buy the series for me.

I've been a fan ever since <3

... I feel so old now xD
How did you feel/react when you saw GNG uncut (I assume that you have)?
I was in absolute shock! I had no idea that GNG was censored that much and when I did watch the uncut version as an adult, it was almost like watching a whole new anime :D Also it broke my heart to see so many beloved characters getting killed. Like Akatora's death was just crushing!
Wait, you don’t see Akatora’s death on the VHS tapes!? Damn. I feel sorry for you XD I’m kinda glad that I watched the DVD’s first now, because he was one of my favorites as a kid, and if I didn’t know that he actually died. Well. It doesn’t really matter XD
Have a nice day!
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Nuulo27 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:05 pm
FDQ wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:14 am I watched GNG on VHS back when it was first released in Denmark in 1993.

A boy from school brought it with him and we watched the first two volumes in school. I WAS HOOKED IMMEDIATELY and went home and nagged my mom to buy the series for me.

I've been a fan ever since <3

... I feel so old now xD
I know this question wasn't for me, but I read the manga before seeing the uncut version, and I was so shocked when reading the manga. I thought it was so much different, until I realized the anime had been cut so much...
Hey, the question can be for anyone:) And it’s for some weird reason nice, to know that someone read the manga first. For someone like me who only discovered the manga this year, I was shocked to even hear about wolves. I remember when I was at chapter 42, and I was like “Wait. This is where the anime ends. The frick have I missed!?” And then I just see a bunch of abra kadabra wolves that has a frickin’ religion! It was hella weird XD
Have a nice day!
Phalene
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Phalene »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:21 pm

I know this question wasn't for me, but I read the manga before seeing the uncut version, and I was so shocked when reading the manga. I thought it was so much different, until I realized the anime had been cut so much...
Hey, the question can be for anyone:) And it’s for some weird reason nice, to know that someone read the manga first. For someone like me who only discovered the manga this year, I was shocked to even hear about wolves. I remember when I was at chapter 42, and I was like “Wait. This is where the anime ends. The frick have I missed!?” And then I just see a bunch of abra kadabra wolves that has a frickin’ religion! It was hella weird XD
I know!! I was also like "wait, how about these last books?" when Akakabuto was already beaten XD
People don't get upset about things,
but their beliefs of them
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Nuulo27 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:58 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 7:21 pm

I know!! I was also like "wait, how about these last books?" when Akakabuto was already beaten XD
It was so weird man. But at least it was good content:) Maybe a little bit to magical, but it’s hella cool:)
Have a nice day!
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

striker32 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:54 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 8:06 am
striker32 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 12:03 am

i actually watched ginga nagareboshi gin first before watching ginga densetsu weed ( on youtube )
It feels weird to see someone else here have watched GNG before GDW, because most people here on GB actually watched GDW first.
yes it does feel a little weird :derpgin:
Did you watch GNG or GDW first?
Have a nice day!
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

striker32 wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 6:15 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 5:24 am
striker32 wrote: Sun May 24, 2020 10:54 pm
yes it does feel a little weird :derpgin:
Did you watch GNG or GDW first?

i watched gng first :derpgin:
Alright. It’s just that most people seem to have watched GDW first, so I just asked :)
Have a nice day!
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

I watched GNG first, the cut version. It was so weird to see missing scenes. I noticed a lot stuff that I didn't understand why it happened. In the cut version you don't see Riki get hurt so badly that he died from it. You see him standing there and next scene he's laying down and bleeding. What. So I searched on youtube and noitced there was missing scenes. I asked my parents to buy the uncut one too but they said no. :OUT: Because they thought it was still same and not worth money. :derpgin: After few years I finally got the uncut one! Now I'm so happy to see all missing scenes now <3 I'd say DVD! :surprisegin:
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Raki wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:52 pm I watched GNG first, the cut version. It was so weird to see missing scenes. I noticed a lot stuff that I didn't understand why it happened. In the cut version you don't see Riki get hurt so badly that he died from it. You see him standing there and next scene he's laying down and bleeding. What. So I searched on youtube and noitced there was missing scenes. I asked my parents to buy the uncut one too but they said no. :OUT: Because they thought it was still same and not worth money. :derpgin: After few years I finally got the uncut one! Now I'm so happy to see all missing scenes now <3 I'd say DVD! :surprisegin:
What about Akatora's death? I have heard that his death is not shown in the cut version, so how was it seeing him die?
Have a nice day!
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:54 pm
Raki wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:52 pm I watched GNG first, the cut version. It was so weird to see missing scenes. I noticed a lot stuff that I didn't understand why it happened. In the cut version you don't see Riki get hurt so badly that he died from it. You see him standing there and next scene he's laying down and bleeding. What. So I searched on youtube and noitced there was missing scenes. I asked my parents to buy the uncut one too but they said no. :OUT: Because they thought it was still same and not worth money. :derpgin: After few years I finally got the uncut one! Now I'm so happy to see all missing scenes now <3 I'd say DVD! :surprisegin:
What about Akatora's death? I have heard that his death is not shown in the cut version, so how was it seeing him die?

Aww...yeah that one... I never know that he died. :tfw_rigel2: So I watched it on Youtube later on and the scene was so sad... Same with Benizakura :tfw_orion1:
So.. Don't watch the cut version, you'll miss so much XD
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Raki wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 3:54 pm

Aww...yeah that one... I never know that he died. :tfw_rigel2: So I watched it on Youtube later on and the scene was so sad... Same with Benizakura :tfw_orion1:
So.. Don't watch the cut version, you'll miss so much XD
They cut Benizakura's death too!? Man, that really is one hell of a cut XD
And I am not intending to watch the cut version. A lot of people from Denmark say that the cut version is better because the voice-actors are better (Which I highly disagree with, but there is a reason for that. In the last 4 - 8 episodes, there were a total of only two men voice-acting every single character, so that's the reason why I don't like the danish cut version. They sound different, but you can definitely hear that some voices are just "made up" voices if you know what I mean), and because of the fact that you can't hear the Japanese voices in the background (Which you can in the un-cut/DVD version. every time the danish version had a shorter line than the Japanese version, you will be able to hear the Japanese dub after the danish one has finished talking, but the Japenese voices in the background are very quiet, so it has never bothered me), which is true, but I gotta be honest. I would rather have all of the Ginga content where there is some audio errors than a cut version that literally cut the death of important characters! That's just my personal opinion.
Have a nice day!
zj
Adviser
Adviser

Post by zj »

got the swedish VHS tapes back in the early 90s :)
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

zj wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:10 am got the swedish VHS tapes back in the early 90s :)
Do you have the DVD as well?
Have a nice day!
Weedpup1886

Post by Weedpup1886 »

I watched it on youtube
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

I watched all GNG episodes on YouTube when I was in college. I have to say...some of those English subtitles on YouTube were a bit weird even though I did understand what they said. :derpgin:
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Spirit Tree wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:11 pm I watched all GNG episodes on YouTube when I was in college. I have to say...some of those English subtitles on YouTube were a bit weird even though I did understand what they said. :derpgin:
Are they the same subtiles as the subtiles on The Reader?
Have a nice day!
Spirit Tree
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Spirit Tree »

Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:13 am
Spirit Tree wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:11 pm I watched all GNG episodes on YouTube when I was in college. I have to say...some of those English subtitles on YouTube were a bit weird even though I did understand what they said. :derpgin:
Probably not. Different YouTube users uploaded those episodes with different wordings on the subtitle translation. It seemed to me that those subtitles were really sloppy back then, like they were made unofficially by people who are not real technicians or are fake something. But this was a long time ago. Eventually, I found episodes on another website that had clear and better subtitles. I have not watched the episodes on Reader, but I can bet that those subtitles on that website were clear and official like the ones on Reader.

But with GDW anime episodes on YouTube, the subtitles were clear and looked official.
:mangariki: :fuji: :gin: :smith: :sakura: :ben: :hyena: :noah: :weed: :gb: :koyuki: :kotetsu: :jerome: :lydia: :aram: :sasuke: :yukimura: :orion: :rigel: :bella: :bon:
Chibi by Dragon; banners & sprite by GSDJohn
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Spirit Tree wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:50 pm
Silver_Alchemist wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:13 am
Probably not. Different YouTube users uploaded those episodes with different wordings on the subtitle translation. It seemed to me that those subtitles were really sloppy back then, like they were made unofficially by people who are not real technicians or are fake something. But this was a long time ago. Eventually, I found episodes on another website that had clear and better subtitles. I have not watched the episodes on Reader, but I can bet that those subtitles on that website were clear and official like the ones on Reader.

But with GDW anime episodes on YouTube, the subtitles were clear and looked official.
Alright. I just wanted to know in case my DVD's suddenly didn't work anymore. Just to know where the most reliable subtitles are:)
Have a nice day!
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

I watched Finnish dub mostly on DVD, but I saw Film 3 (which include episodes 9-12) at first from VHS I think. Ah, those memories! <3
Ginga forever! <3
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

Saw the Finnish dub version first on VHS, fully saw it first on Youtube before getting it on dvd
Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Arctic Ranger »

VHS. My family owned the first one, and the rest were borrowed from the library one at a time.

My neighbor happened to own them all as well, and I remember seeing some of the "missing" VHS that way.

I have strangely a very vivid short memory of us having borrowed the third VHS, the one which begins with Gin, Akame and the Iga surrounded, and I was watching it after having been retrieved from daycare. And that's all, I don't remember else about that moment.
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”