Am I the only one fan, whose favorite character is Hyena?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Findog
Potential
Potential

Am I the only one fan, whose favorite character is Hyena?

Post by Findog »

When I was a kid, I did'nt like Hyena at all, but only now I realize how good a character he is. On the other hand, this was influenced by the Finnish GNG musical, but also by the GNG manga, where Hyena was don't annoying like in the anime. Hyena's story is interesting, first he was a minion of wicked Sniper, but in the end he healed his way. It's just a pity that the character died because it would have been interesting to see how he'd evolved in GDW. But are others who likes Hyena? :hyena:
Ginga forever! <3
Vicutooru
Potential
Potential

Re: Am I the only one fan, whose favorite character is Hyena?

Post by Vicutooru »

Not my favourite character but i really like him.
:EMPTY:
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

Nice to hear.
Ginga forever! <3
Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Not my number one favorite, but I do like him! love how he became good in the end and helped out Ben against Sniper. I would have liked to see him in GDW too (alive) but I also love how in GDW Hyena is there with the other spirits in the final battle of Weed vs Hougen, it’s a really nice touch.

Hyena is an underrated character imo, though I can see why he may not be popular, I still like him ^^
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Banners by me and Sandatora!
Reno
Friend
Friend

Post by Reno »

He isn't my top favorite but I always had a little heart for Hyena. I didn't like the fact that Sniper always treated him bad and becaue of what Sniper did he got the punishment. He really grew on me when he finally stood up for himself and tried to kill Sniper while helping Ben. I wouldn't love to seen him alive but seeing his spirit in GDW was nice.
Image Avatar and banner done by Kasi. Sprite by GSDJohn!
Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

he's not my #1 favourite, but I do like Hyena a lot! when I first watched GNG I didn't like him at all cos I thought he was too cowardly, but since then he's grown on me cos he does make an effort to be strong after Ben inspires him.
avatar drawn by my friend YerLakar on twitter
sorry for my infrequent visits! am working on it
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Akame wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:26 pm he's not my #1 favourite, but I do like Hyena a lot! when I first watched GNG I didn't like him at all cos I thought he was too cowardly, but since then he's grown on me cos he does make an effort to be strong after Ben inspires him.
tbf the GNG anime kind of gave his character development the shaft and his redemption comes in one fell swoop after seeing Ben apparently die, rather than happening gradually until it finally culminates in said moment like it does in the manga. It's probably the most glaringly obvious right before said scene occurs: in the anime, Hyena separates from the rest of army because he's a coward and doesn't want to die, while in the manga, he just takes a short detour to eat honey out of a beehive as a final snack before his death, which he has more or less accepted at this point.

I wouldn't say he's my fave, but he definitely is one of my faves and imho he had the best redemption arc in the entire series.

Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

Reno_the_wolf wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:15 pm I didn't like the fact that Sniper always treated him bad and becaue of what Sniper did he got the punishment. He really grew on me when he finally stood up for himself and tried to kill Sniper while helping Ben. I wouldn't love to seen him alive but seeing his spirit in GDW was nice.
I agree!
Ginga forever! <3
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

Any time there's a character that isn't just 'righteous and strong' or 'angry and tough and willing to do the right thing', I'm always ready to give them a chance. Hyena was cowardly and snarky, even when he quit being Hyena's henchman. Even before going out to die in war, he chose to eat honey first lol He easily became the Koga's slaves and whined about it. For a 'villain' character, he's definitely interesting. And despite not being the strongest, he still took on a couple of dogs and he didn't even seem to regret being in Moss's group during the Kisaragi part of the adventure. Just annoyed. I liked reading the stuff his manga self said.

Let's not forget the best quote ever when he tries killing Sniper in GDW. Being Sniper's ferryman down the river of Styx.
Last edited by Dragon on Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

Yes! I have always loved him!
I bought a Hyena keychain for my home keys a few years ago haha.
He really is an intetesting character. He was a coward at the start but even after he found his confidence, he wasnt like most of the Ohu soldier who would throw their lives away for their pride.
Image Image
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

I love Hyena too. Like others said, he isnt my #1 fav, but he's definitely up there. I have a soft spot for villains turned good guys, and Hyena was definitely an interesting one since he was never a "badass" intimidating villain.

I also recall naming my Webkinz Weimaraner after him lol
Findog
Potential
Potential

Post by Findog »

Wolpard wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:49 pm I love Hyena too. Like others said, he isnt my #1 fav, but he's definitely up there.
He's not also my #1 favorite, but one of my favorites.
Ginga forever! <3
Chūtora

Post by Chūtora »

He isn't my favourite character but I still like him alot, especially his character development from a cowardly, sneaky guy who would just do whatever Sniper tells him to, into a loyal member of the Ohu army. He even cried for Terry. Yet he was still a coward and ran away from the fight with Akakabuto... but then he decided to be brave just for once and sacrificed himself for Ben.
Hyena was a good boy :D <3
:ben: :benizakuramanga: :chutora:

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”