Did GNG ever air on Danish TV?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin
Miles

Did GNG ever air on Danish TV?

Post by Miles »

The Danish language Wikipedia page for GNG / Silver Fang has the following information:

Silver Fang blev vist for første gang (formentlig) på TV2 i 1989 - dog i en censureret udgave, så den var mere børnevenlig.

Which translated into English, would be:

Silver Fang was first shown (presumably) on TV2 in 1989 - though in a censored version, so it was more child-friendly.

So I'm wondering if anyone can verify that this is actually true? I have never heard of the series being shown on TV in any of the Nordic countries, only being available through rental stores and home releases. Might be someone in Denmark simply misremembered and added inaccurate information to the Wiki (and the "presumably" does make it seem like whoever added it has a somewhat fuzzy memory).

But if it is true, I'd love more information! And being able to see this even more censored version would be really interesting.
methpring
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Did GNG ever air on Danish TV?

Post by methpring »

There is also an old but persistent rumor in Finland that the censored version was shown on TV at some point, but no proof of it has never been found.

Best manga at the moment: Moriarty the Patriot

My Ginga (and other) collections:
Tora
Legend
Legend

Post by Tora »

Same rumour for Sweden that is has aired on TV. No proof known.
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
Arctic Ranger
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Arctic Ranger »

I'm not buying rumors. Airing GNG, even if censored does not seem like a thing a firmly established broadcasting channel would ever do.

I'm willing to bet if people are honestly convinced it was aired on tv, it's more likely a misplaced memory of watching it on VHS. I'll need some proof on that to believe it.
"Exceed the you from yesterday."
-Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin

Words to truly live by.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

I'm more inclined to believe it wasn't shown on TV at all by the way it was cut.
Werewolfen

Post by Werewolfen »

I can't tell from own experience, but a few people from older generations have talked about watching it on tv.

I was around 10 when I started getting into GNG, and it was recommended to me at that time.
Also, the DVDs were first released in 2006.

There's some stuff about the voice actors too, they hired a new team for the DVDs, so it's not the "original" VAs
Miles

Post by Miles »

Werewolfen wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:27 am There's some stuff about the voice actors too, they hired a new team for the DVDs, so it's not the "original" VAs
The Danish and Norwegian DVD releases of the uncut version did indeed include new dubs that were different from the 80s VHS version (since the old dubs only stretched for parts of the series). In Norway, the original cut VHS version from the 80s with the original dub was also released on DVD, I believe prior to the uncut version with the new dub. I don't know if the original Danish VHS dub ever got a DVD release.
Werewolfen

Post by Werewolfen »

Miles wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:11 pm
Werewolfen wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:27 am There's some stuff about the voice actors too, they hired a new team for the DVDs, so it's not the "original" VAs
The Danish and Norwegian DVD releases of the uncut version did indeed include new dubs that were different from the 80s VHS version (since the old dubs only stretched for parts of the series). In Norway, the original cut VHS version from the 80s with the original dub was also released on DVD, I believe prior to the uncut version with the new dub. I don't know if the original Danish VHS dub ever got a DVD release.
I don't think it did? I've been searching for it, but haven't been able to find it, at least not yet? :THOT:
Suetic
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Suetic »

The info about assumed TV release was added to Wikipedia back in November 20, 2016, but it's actually VHS release they're talking about. None of the Nordic countries got the TV release just the cut VHS releases back then. Also I like to add that word "formentlig" that was added in the original edit which indeed means "presumably" so person who wrote about this isn't even sure of what the heck they're writing.

Since Danish distributors have lost access to original Danish dub they had to redub the whole thing for DVD release. The same I think happened to Norwegian dub.

InstagramToyhou.seTumblrTwitter

⚡Avatar by Pikafuey.⚡
Miles

Post by Miles »

Suetic wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 9:56 pm Since Danish distributors have lost access to original Danish dub they had to redub the whole thing for DVD release. The same I think happened to Norwegian dub.
As mentioned above, the original 80s Norwegian VHS dub got a DVD release. But they did new dubs for the uncut DVD release in Danish and Norwegian, which had never been dubbed before. They're not exactly re-dubs, since the whole series had never been dubbed before.

I'm not aware of there being a re-dub of the original Nordic 80s cut in Norwegian or Danish. But stranger things have happened!
Wakasaki
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wakasaki »

The persistent rumor that Silver Fang was aired on TV in Sweden is most definitely false. Some say they watched it on TV 1000 (today known as Viasat), other claim they've watched it on either TV3, TV4, Kanal 5 or Canal Digital. All of the people claiming this are misremembering, as it is fairly easy in Sweden to find out if a channel has aired something since they, largely due to licensing reasons, keep records of the shows they've aired. For as long as the rumor has been around there hasn't been a single Swedish channel that has been able to confirm that they've aired the show, so in other words you can reasonably assume that people are misremembering watching the VHS-tapes as kids. I know for a fact that neither TV3, TV4 nor Kanal 5 has aired the show as I once contacted them myself while doing research, and none of them could confirm that they've ever aired it.

I would imagine it's the very same situation in Denmark. People watching the tapes as kids and when they grow up they misremember watching it on TV. I don't know how Danish TV-channels operates, but I would also imagine that they keep records of what they've aired. So finding out if TV2 has ever aired Silver Fang should be as simple as sending an e-mail or making a phonecall.
Miles

Post by Miles »

Wakasaki wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:08 pm I know for a fact that neither TV3, TV4 nor Kanal 5 has aired the show as I once contacted them myself while doing research, and none of them could confirm that they've ever aired it.
Wow, love that you've done some research into this! Guessing you didn't contact SVT as no one ever claimed to have seen it on their channels?

And yes, the most likely answer currently seems to be that some people are misremembering combined with people jumping to conclusions. E.g. if someone reads the Danish Wiki, they might take the claim as fact (though the "formentlig / presumably" might help ever so slightly). And the fact that the Nordic cut version is now harder to come by than the uncut original might also lead people to think that the version they think aired on TV was more cut than the home/rental release, not knowing they were watching the Nordic cut home release.
Wakasaki
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Wakasaki »

Miles wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:03 am Wow, love that you've done some research into this! Guessing you didn't contact SVT as no one ever claimed to have seen it on their channels?
I worked as a journalist at the time and was writing a thing about Silver Fang, so I was doing some research beforehand. c:

And I didn't contact SVT mostly because, frankly, SVT would've never aired Silver Fang to begin with. Anything animated on TV in Sweden at the time was considered to be for kids only, and Silver Fang, even in it's censored Swedish version, would not have passed the bar and be allowed to be broadcast on state-owned television channels. TV3, TV4 and Kanal 5 didn't have to follow the same standards and regulations though, so they were worth asking about it.

Return to “Ginga: Nagareboshi Gin”