GB's future

Rules, announcements, news, and general information.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

GB's future

Post by Arano »

I was convinced after the successful crowd fund for the board's move in 2017 that I could handle the yearly running costs no problem.
This year I am concerned that I may not be able to afford the server costs without help!

The board incurs two separate costs for server space.
The smaller cost is that of the old board, which is $45.36 per year, billed in July.
The main board costs $194.40 per year, billed in August.
= $239.76 in total. So let's call it $240.

I'd like your thoughts on:

1) The old board was only meant to be up for a year or so, but I kept paying for it given the cost was minimal. It's nice to have it as part of the long board history, but I'm considering letting it go to take away that cost. Yes? No?

2) If a community crowd fund is my only option in the end, would bringing back the reward of a rank (like the Tesshin Legend rank, but a different character) be something people would want?

Beyond this year, I suppose it will also be good to discuss the boards future longevity. Ginga Densetsu Noah has alienated (hah) some of the older - and newer(?) - fans, and I have noticed a drop in visits to the board and new registrations. But simultaneously on the collector side, there has been a GNG "revival" of sorts.

I genuinely don't know how long the board will be alive as these types of forums are considered a bit old hat now that things like Discord exist! But it's far from dead yet and I'd like to keep it going for as long as GDN is being published (I may regret saying that if the series ends up as long as GDW).

Edit: TO BE CLEAR I'm not considering closing the board any time soon! Sorry if I gave that impression, this is just open discussion!

Appreciate your thoughts.
Tora
Legend
Legend

Re: GB's future

Post by Tora »

I for one love looking through the old board if I want to find something that isn't on here, like what's been discussed.

I'm willing to help out with payment with what I can (finally working again and get payment next month), and I think reward rank would be amazing to have as well. As here is where we can discuss the fan scanlations till we ever get official English (looking at you MangaPlanet) translation that we can't do on Discord anymore.
Wait for me; Terrex, Baghéera, Nokorde, Smulan, when its my time I come

Banners by GB members

Twitter | GingaWiki
ZackThePuppy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ZackThePuppy »

I'd be sad to see this board go, but I understand it's costly to keep it running and the Ginga fandom isn't nearly as big as it used to be. But I'd be willing to help crowdfund anything if necessary.

As for the old board, it is possible to put screenshots of the most important historical events (such as G.I.N's passing) on Imgur or something?
Flanoir
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Flanoir »

I honestly won't blame you for questioning the board's future, Arano. Especially with the amount of long-time members who called it quits.
But tbh I very much prefer classic boards to Discord and such. I can't believe we went from neatly organised forums to those instantaneous, messy things.
Anyway, it's not fair for you to carry the financial burden on your own.

I don't mind the old board going out. Perhaps what Zack is proposing could be done on a dedicated section on Regnant's website, if they're interested in that.
Bluey_Madison
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Bluey_Madison »

It would be nice to have someplace to store the old site, screenshots of important parts anyway. I was always curious about the old-old site, and if anyone had screenshots of that too; maybe there could be a place where image captures of both can be stored for board members to look at.

The forum is something that I really enjoy the format of, and would like to find something similar online, but they don't seem to be very common, like you said. A shame, since I used to visit them all the time ever since I was active on the internet. Agreed with posts about Discord being very messy at times, and it's in general just a big chatroom rather than a discussion board.

I like the idea of there being another crowdfunding campaign - I'd pitch in as much as I can, if it will lead to less financial stress.
man-faced dog
right dog is made by CantaloupeFish, left dog is unknown publisher magazine
:rocket: :jet: :missile: :luke:
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

I think letting the old board go would be a good idea, as we knew it was only temporary anyway.

Crowdfunding I think is a good idea, maybe a Ko-fi for the board as well would be good for more continual contributions. I am also more than willing to help pay some of the costs, especially after denfur sales :)
Image Image
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

While this 'old hat' community forum is hard for even me to keep up with unless I'm on my computer, I recognize that it does suit other member's preference more over Discord, and its certainly better for organization of more important information.
I'm happy to pay a sizable chunk of the bill if you need.

I would say to let the old closed forum go, but it seems others are still keen to keep it around. I'm not too bothered either way.
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

Personally, I prefer the old-fashioned board format over Discord, so I'd really hate to see the board go. If there was another crowdfunding campaign, I'd be more than happy to chip in to keep GB afloat.

As for the old board, I'd be okay with letting it go if it helps keep the new board running. Like Zack said, if there's anything that absolutely should be preserved, it could just be archived on the new board; I think at least Yoshi's interviews from the Finnish cons should be brought over, so they don't become lost forever in case the old board is shut down.

Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba »

I've never personally visited the old board since the move, but there are things on there that need archiving for sure. I've also never been a fan of discord, I don't even really know what it is but I prefer using this type of forum to browse and talk.
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Post by Jinto »

I could possibly help with the funding. So will GB be closed after GDN ends? Assuming there is not going to be a sequal
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Digsu wrote: Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:32 am I think at least Yoshi's interviews from the Finnish cons should be brought over, so they don't become lost forever in case the old board is shut down.
I did copy over these onto the Network website, not sure if I missed any https://silverfangnetwork.com/sitemap/
Image Image
Rusty
Victor
Victor

Post by Rusty »

I'd be so sad to see this wonderful little board go, it's been such an integral part of my life I couldn't bear to see it go :( I'd be happy to chip in a few pennies to help keep it afloat.

Perhaps when Yoshi finally puts down his pen this board will be put down with it, but I don't think that'll happen just yet :p
icon by dolan
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

The community determines whether a board lives or dies so as long as it is active, the board will remain. Don't worry I'm not even considering closing it anytime soon, sorry if I worried anyone :)

The old board could be taken down temporarily for a year to save on costs, and brought back later for those concerned it would be gone for good. But say if I open up a ko-fi, and the uptake it good, it may not need to be taken down at all!

I've never used ko-fi before, but it looks like the best thing for the relatively small amount needed for the board. Thank you guys for being willing to help <3

Currently talking to Regnant to see if any cost can be saved on the hosting :tfw_aokabuto1:
LIBRAKIND
Upholder
Upholder

Post by LIBRAKIND »

It would be sad to see the board go
I do like the structure of forums much more than Discord servers but I realize it is a dying breed of social media (unless it's like a supplementary thing like on DA and FA)

I could try to donate a bit of money towards helping the board! I don't really want to see this place go.
^click me!^
My Socials
Mukonga and Hunderian banners made by me
Libra sprite made by GSDJohn and Dragon
Akame
Legend
Legend

Post by Akame »

I would happily contribute to the upkeep of this current board, if we went about it how we did it previously I'd be happy to provide custom art as rewards for any supporters! I also find the board preferable to things like Discord. It's so much more organised!
avatar drawn by my friend YerLakar on twitter
sorry for my infrequent visits! am working on it
GrandxSummoner
Recruit
Recruit

Post by GrandxSummoner »

I've much the same sentiment as many others, the old board being put to rest wouldn't bother me, however I'd be more than willing to pay a share needed for the current board to remain as is!
Tikikata
Legend
Legend

Post by Tikikata »

I could attempt to do a bit of crowd funding during a stream sometime! I know I'm not as active as I used to be, but I really love this community. Please let me know if this is something that would be okay to do!
GingaBoard's Resident Lloyd Fan
:belmond: :kurotora: :lloyd: :hyakkiga: My Twitch || My Twitter :george: :ken: :lydia: :unsai:

Gingastar
Legend
Legend

Post by Gingastar »

Honestly, I don't mind at all if the old board is taken down. I personally don't visit it often, if at all.

I would be more than willing to donate towards this board again. Ginga Board means a lot to me, and I know you said that you weren't even thinking about closing the board down, but it really would be heartbreaking to see Ginga Board gone for good.
---------
Redbubble | DeviantArt
Banners by me and Sandatora!
18Gingasoldier
Rookie
Rookie

Post by 18Gingasoldier »

I'm OK with letting the old board go, but I agree that it'd be nice to have some screenshots from what we can still access, just in case it's gone permanently. Of course, if it's gone only temporarily, no screenshots needed.
I'd be willing to donate!
(Finally giving something back to the community xdd)

Though I've never been an active member, the Ginga series (and animal-series forums) in general helped me through the first hard times of my life (moving to another country with a different language), so as for the future of GingaBoard, I'd also be sad to see it go. I haven't read more than what Kasi has translated from GDWO, just because I don't want to spoil myself anymore than I have, though I think I've read something from TLW ;v

Discord is fine... but things can get lost more easily I think.
Fayt
Legend
Legend

Post by Fayt »

While I'm not a super active member and only post once in a blue moon, my opinion may not matter, but I would have no interest in using discord at all. It doesn't interest me and there would personally be no point in it for me as well I don't talk with anyone (never know what to say) on here as I've never really jelled (is that the right word and spelling) with anyone here but still like to see how everyone is here. I like to come here now and then and check on what's going on, how everyone is going even if I'm never posting and this is easy for me as well. Crowdfunding sounds good and as Regnant has already said maybe a ko-fi or something to help with the board as well?

As for the old board, I think it's time to let it go like it was planned. Like ZackThePuppy maybe screenshot important/ bits that meant a lot to the board that way the board may be gone, but these parts will always be here still ^^ If any of us has a part we want to keep ourselves but wouldn't be classes as something for the whole board to keep (like a fun talk with friends) we can screenshot them for ourselves as well
Is a Gilgamesh obsessed mongrel.

Return to “Main”