HNY + New Theme Surprise!

Rules, announcements, news, and general information.
Houndy

Re: HNY + New Theme Surprise!

Post by Houndy »

Arano wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:52 pmPlus, there is now an accessibility widget! Regnant can still work on a “Dark mode” version of the board, but for now people who are wanting that please give the widget a try in the meantime - specifically the Contrast ‘Invert Colours’ option and see if it helps!
That widget has a serious bug, it hides the top menu bar links so you can't access to e.g. your profile settings or private messages if you use the Contrast ‘Invert Colours’ option.

GSDJohn wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:59 pmThe Contrast options don't do the work that well: Invert Colors inverts all the colors, including images that you wouldn't want inverted, and "Dark Contrast" still leaves some parts on white. A separate Dark mode would be great! :orion3:
I agree with you, decided to make a dark mode by myself. If you want to use it, follow there steps.
1. Install Stylus add-on to your browser, it's available for Firefox and Chrome (it should work fine in other Chrome-based browsers as well).
2. Go to Gingaboard.com
3. Click the "S"-icon and select "Write styles for Gingaboard.com".
4. Download Darkstyle.css.
5. Open it and copy-paste its content to the code field on the Add Style tab you opened earlier.
6. Check "enabled" and click "Save".
7. Enjoy the Dark mode.

Screenshots:
FAQ

Is this hacking?
Nope, not at all. Stylus doesn't do anything to the site, the changes are done in your browser.

Edit: Swapped forum and topic icons, blue icons = unread posts and white icons = no unread posts.
Last edited by Houndy on Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regnant
Technician
Technician

Post by Regnant »

Houndy wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:29 pm
Arano wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 3:52 pmPlus, there is now an accessibility widget! Regnant can still work on a “Dark mode” version of the board, but for now people who are wanting that please give the widget a try in the meantime - specifically the Contrast ‘Invert Colours’ option and see if it helps!
That widget has a serious bug, it hides the top menu bar links so you can't access to e.g. your profile settings or private messages if you use the Contrast ‘Invert Colours’ option.

GSDJohn wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 6:59 pmThe Contrast options don't do the work that well: Invert Colors inverts all the colors, including images that you wouldn't want inverted, and "Dark Contrast" still leaves some parts on white. A separate Dark mode would be great! :orion3:
I agree with you, decided to make a dark mode by myself. If you want to use it, follow there steps.
1. Install Stylus add-on to your browser, it's available for Firefox and Chrome (it should work fine in other Chrome-based browsers as well).
2. Go to Gingaboard.com
3. Click the "S"-icon and select "Write styles for Gingaboard.com".
4. Download Darkstyle.css.
5. Open it and copy-paste its content to the code field on the Add Style tab you opened earlier.
6. Check "enabled" and click "Save".
7. Enjoy the Dark mode.

Screenshots:
FAQ

Is this hacking?
Nope, not at all. Stylus doesn't do anything to the site, the changes are done in your browser.
I am not seeing that bug personally, can you please share your browser version and OS so I can report to UserWay? Or you can also report yourself in the widget's "report a problem" button.

A dark mode is already in development (as stated in the first post). Please be patient as we make it work with our theming setup and color guidelines.
Image Image
Houndy

Post by Houndy »

Regnant wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:59 pmI am not seeing that bug personally, can you please share your browser version and OS so I can report to UserWay?
Yes, my browser version is Firefox 84.0 and OS is Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Very resourceful of you to make your own darkmode Houndy. People are free to use your method for desktop, but an official dark theme is needed for instant accessibility on all devices, which is what Regnant is making. I'd like to ask that you please do not do anything further to undermine the work she is already doing :)

Speaking of which, the widget is there for people who need it, not specifically everyone! The contrast option is there as a dark option while the official one is being made, it is not a permanent solution and is not designed to be aesthetically pleasing, it's for access only.
Houndy wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:04 pm Yes, my browser version is Firefox 84.0 and OS is Ubuntu 20.04.1 LTS.
All main vision impaired software (JAWS/other freedom scientific software) and specially built computer aids (braille readers etc) and adaptations are made for Windows OS pretty much exclusively (I work with a vision impaired charity), so the widget is likely not geared towards Ubuntu OS users which is why you are experiencing this very specific glitch.
Houndy

Post by Houndy »

Arano wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:49 pmI'd like to ask that you please do not do anything further to undermine the work she is already doing :)
Don't worry, I wont do anything further to undermine the work she is already doing, my point was to offer temporary solution until the official dark theme is ready.
Nate

Post by Nate »

happy new year
LarsT89

Post by LarsT89 »

Its so COOL! happy new year everone 😄
trolltea

Post by trolltea »

Happy New Year and thanks for everything you all are doing