Manga Planet 3 Month Subscription Giveaway! - Congrats Raki!

Rules, announcements, news, and general information.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Manga Planet 3 Month Subscription Giveaway! - Congrats Raki!

Post by Arano »

In exchange for my guest post on Manga Planet's blog, they have very kindly offered to give away a free 3 month subscription to someone on Ginga Board so they can read GNG (and anything else in their library of course)!
The subscription will give you access to current chapters up to Volume 3, and weekly chapter updates for the next 3 months.

The only rule for the giveaway is that it is only available for Ginga Board members who do not have a Manga Planet subscription already. If you already have a subscription, please do not enter.

How to enter:
  1. Read the blog!
    Bonus: Share it on twitter/your social media if you can (this is not mandatory in order to have a chance of winning)
  2. Reply to this topic with your thoughts on the GNG series. You can use the blog questions as prompts and answer those if you would like, or you can answer these questions: Do you like the series for the same reasons as I do? How did you discover the series? What do you hope Manga Planet will translate next?
    Your first post is your entry, multiple posts/replies to other people will not increase your chances of winning.
Winner will be picked at random on Sunday 4th October. I will contact the winner via personal message with instructions on how to claim the subscription.

Good luck!
Jersokoi

Re: Manga Planet 3 Month Subscription Giveaway!

Post by Jersokoi »

do you like the series for the same reason i do ?
Yep! I do also adore the unique designs some of the breeds get!

how did you discover the series ?
Found it trough youtube AMVS around 2009-2010

what do you hope Manga planet will translate next ?
I'm hoping for them to eventually translate the entire Ginga series! Maybe King Fang or Demon Dog Musashi too!
:gin: :riki: :ben: :gdwcross: :great: :kurotora: :akatora: :chutora: :moss: :chibi: :benizakura: :kurojaki: :fuji: :john: :minazuki: :hazuki: :kisaragi: :uzuki: :hakuro:
:tesshin: :kyoushiro: :jerome: :toube: :rocket: :hiro: :george:
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Do you like the series for the same reasons as I do?
You basically mentioned everything, except for the fact that I don't care about collecting that much. Another reason why I love Ginga is because it got me into writing! Because Ginga is not very well known, I researched it a lot, and because of that, I ended up knowing more than I have ever known about any other franchise. Since I know so much, I started writing a fan-fiction (A fan-fiction I have canceled), and later started writing my own stories.

How did you discover the series?
My dad bought the danish DVD box set of GNG, and watched the anime with me. I fell in love immediately because of dogs.

What do you hope Manga Planet will translate next?
I hope that they will continue translating more of the Ginga franchise. GDW and so on.
Have a nice day!
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Yes, just like you wrote on the blog! An anime about dogs, what could be better than that?! Talking dogs with all different personalities, good ones and bad ones. We follow Gin from his birth and growing to an respectful adult, the long journeys with fighting, loyalty, friendship, betrayal and so much more. All those cool attacks, battougas and more! That's so cool!

First time I discovered Ginga was in a swedish manga magazine named Manga Mania. There were two pages telling about 'Silver Fang' (Ginga Nagareboshi Gin) and a picture on an Akita and plushies. I was already a big animal lover, especially dogs and wolves so I was really interested. I was about 8 years old. After reading the info pages, that's it. It's a serie for me. Now I'm a big fan of the series!

I really hope they'll translate the whole Ginga series and even the oldest ones! Even King Fang.
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
Wulf
Friend
Friend

Post by Wulf »

Yes! The article hit the nail on the head on why I love the series so much. I was so pleased that the series covered so many dog breeds, especially the native Japanese breeds. The characters are really strong and engaging and I really do enjoy the story. The mix of people in the series really helps ground it as well.

In Addition of being a huge fan of the series and the community surrounding it, the series helped me fall in love with the Japanese Akita. I currently own two of then (silver brindle male, like Gin! and red female) that are my foundation dogs for my new Japanese Akita kennel. I studied in Japan in 2019 for a year in order to improve my Japanese in order to build better relationships with Japanese Akita breeders in Japan. In this month I even registered my kennel, Futago Kennel, in Japan. The kennel name is an homage to Ginga! I try to introduce the Ginga series to all Japanese dog breeders.

It has been so long that I have forgotten.. but I am pretty sure I saw an ad for the series on a form or website and was instantly hooked on the idea of an anime series based on dogs! They are so hard to come by.

It would be awesome if Manga Planet considered the other series in the Ginga universe!
Last edited by Wulf on Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Professional Artist for Animation + Kids Lit
Owner of Futago Kennel (Japanese Akita breeding program in Ohio)
Dragon
Adviser
Adviser

Post by Dragon »

WHOA, what an amazing opportunity!! O_O

We have some similarities! The interest in seeing this unique take on dogs in anime, mixing in Bushido, war, and adventure, but I have a few other aspects I love about it! Gin can be interesting to watch, but the other dogs and their stories interest me much more. The fights, all of the new parts of Japan we get to learn about that I never really knew about at all, and anticipating each new pack were some of my top favorite parts of GNG.

Long ago, back when I was 13 (around 2009?), my friend introduced me to GDW. I was beyond confused and wasn't really into it at first, especially since I didn't know about GNG. After dropping it (only being shown episode 4 and 5 lol), I didn't think about it again for years, until I was ...19? 20 maybe? I remembered 'this strange dog anime my friend showed me once' and decided to find it. I found all of the episodes of GNG on Youtube and despite its age, loved it! I was immediately hooked and went on to watch GDW, then read the mangas.

This might be obvious, but I hope MP gets to translate GDW next. There's a lot to it, but I would love to read it in its entirety!

ImageImage
Knight
Potential
Potential

Post by Knight »

Do you like the series for the same reasons as I do?/What do you love about the Ginga Series?
As you said, I enjoy the historical aspect. I really like period pieces that feel dated, it's interesting. And Ginga certainly has some old-timey logic. Obviously the main draw is the dogs, it's interesting to imagine a world where the dogs have their own society going on in the wilderness, and Ginga does bring that to life. I don't necessarily love Gin or feel the importance of them being Akita Inu, but I don't think not caring about that aspect takes away from the story too much. There are many dog breeds and I learned a lot of new ones through this series, such as Kai Kens. I personally love dogs and bushido, so learning more information for both was great.

@Dragon was really into it, and we always get into each other's series, since we're clingy married people. I'm not really as much of a "furry" as her so it was difficult at first, but now it's important to me like many other series we share.

GDW, hopefully it'd have enough time to go past the anime segment
  ─────────── ʏᴀᴋsʜᴀ :john:
//art by Dragon
Kaiken
Banned
Banned

Post by Kaiken »

Similarly, on YouTube. I remember I was 7 years old as I was watching TLK music videos and on suggested there appeared MORE animal movies music videos, and one of them were about GDW. I did not know of GNG existence for a long time. I only has found a Finnish Karaoke of Gin opening and I assumed it's a special/bonus/fan animation of GDW. I was then piecing GDW's possible story together by watching all the music videos I could find, haha xD I was so happy, when many years later, in 2012, I first got my chance to actually download and watch the real series!

No and yes. Of course I love the designs, as well as the various themes of violence and ''bushido'' (now), but my real love for the series were initially that they realistically portrayed dogs (in opposition to the annoying Disney ones, where everything is dumbed down and censored). Dogs are violent, dogs fight, dogs hunt, kill and... are extremely loyal and protective towards their owners. That is the true essence of Dog and Ginga, like Jack London's stories felt like a wonderful tribute to the True Dog. A few years later, after I grew more knowledgeable about the series, I started especially loving the war part of it. I like war stories (as long as they're not just bland propaganda ofc) and I love dogs, so the combination of two - DOG WARS and DOG ARMIES - has always been just the very best thing EVER! Now, few years back, I started getting interested in various historical and religious aspects of looking at the ''bushido'' code + Chivalry of knights, etc and I now love it very much, too. So that's THREE of my most favorite things combined: realistic, violent dogs, war stories, chivalry code of honor. Nothing could be better! Ginga is and most likely will always be my most favorite story of any media. The best thing EVER. All my own comics and written stories have also been basically my own version of Ginga. And they were so even before I discovered Ginga! I've always loved such concept, so I was extremely happy someone else had made the very thing I tried to make as kid.

Yamato! <3

_______

Good luck to everyone entering! I really hope I get lucky, through haha :D
Last edited by Kaiken on Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Favorites:
:kamakiri: :Hayate: :sunny: :stone: :victor: :gamu: :mole: :missile: :john: :yukimura: :sniper: :orion: :riki: :jerome: :matheus: :bon: :blanka: :akakama: :bayern :chutora: :akatora: :kurotora: :trigger: :bruiser:
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Post by Wolpard »

What a nice offer from Manga Planet! May as well give it a shot!

A lot of our reasons overlap! I love how different it is, and how absolutely absurd things get. Ninja dogs? Physics-breaking spinning attacks? Hell yeah! The Bushido thing is also really cool too! I've come across other animal media that is dark/violent, but none of them stuck to me as much as Ginga just because of how unique it is even compared to other gritty animal media.

I also REALLY love the art style and how distinct it is. Of course, some of it looks wonky and some people are turned off by the dog-pecs (lol), but I think it's an incredibly charming art style. You can't confuse it for anything else! Also, even if Yoshi gets hit with same-face syndrome, I really love the concept behind a lot of the designs, especially the way Yoshi depicts markings! I don't think I've seen anyone depict German Shepherd face markings as interestingly as he does.

I was recommended it by an online friend when I was 11! I had a wolf phase at the time, so she recommended Ginga and Wolf's Rain to me (Wolf's Rain failed to hook me). I hadn't watched anime before Ginga (excluding things like Pokémon that I didn't really understand were anime), so it was my first anime. I had nightmares about Akakabuto and Kaibutsu lol.

I would love if MP continued the series and went on to translate Ginga Densetsu Weed and the rest of the Ginga sequels! It would also be cool to see some of Yoshi's others stories translated, like Shiroi Senshi Yamato.
18Gingasoldier
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Manga Planet 3 Month Subscription Giveaway!!

Post by 18Gingasoldier »

Yes, the very same reasons :D how the dogs embraced the valors of bravery and sacrifice, and Gin is a good role model for me ^^
When I knew it was getting translated to an easier language (Finnish), I tried learning it but ended up loving the culture, so I guess GNG led me to being more culturally aware.

I was looking for dog animes through Google Images and found a recolor of Weed from GDW, which lead me to GNG.

I hope they do Ginga Densetsu Riki (since it’s a small story), and follow it up with Ginga Densetsu WEED. I know another publishing company tried translating GDW, but it didn’t do well and its translation was cancelled. It’d be nice to see it fully translated though!
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

How did you discover the Silver Fang – The Shooting Star Gin – (Ginga Nagareboshi Gin)?

Back in 1994, a boy from my school brought in a video to class. It was a cartoon with dogs and he said it was really awesome. We ended up watching it. It was of course, Silver Fang. I fell in love with it instantly and when I came back home, I nagged my mom to buy me the cartoon. She agreed to buy the first two volumes of the VHS. Eventually, I nagged enough to get the last two volumes aswell. That's how I first saw Silver Fang and eventually got my own copy of the anime :)

What do you love about the Ginga Series?

I think the main reason why I love the series so much is probably because it was so different from all the other cartoons I saw at the time. I was only 8 years old and the majority of cartoons available was Disney and cutesy stuff. And here was a cartoon that was extremely exciting, gritty and had elements of bravery, violence, friendships and betrayal. It ticked a lot of boxes that no other cartoon had at the time.

It stuck with me for that many years because it had such a strong impact on me back then. It really touched me to the core in some way.

A more recent reason for loving the series is the collectables. I always collected something throughout my life, but my Silver Fang collection has become my largest collection by far. The fact that you can hunt down old rare merch that is 30 years old and also buy new merch that was released just this month, is great for a collector and fan. The thrill of finding a rare gem to add to your collection is amazing. And so is the thrill of seeing what kind of merch will be released next, be it a plushie or a sticker!

What was your first reaction to the news of Silver Fang – The Shooting Star Gin- being licensed in English?

My first thought was literally: "Probably another petition to get GNG translated to english". I checked around on twitter, gingaboard and mangaplanet to read up all the news about it and it made me so happy! It was NOT a petition. It was an announcement! Finally after 20+ years, I can actually read the manga I've loved for almost my entire life! Had butterflies in my stomach and was smiling from ear to ear!

What are you looking forward to the most in the English version?

I'm looking most forward to reading the infamous Wolf arc that was never included in the anime. I haven't read any of the fan translated GNG. I've only ever browsed through the manga, unable to read it. The arc looks so cool and it's very different and seems much more "unnatural" compared to the rest of the manga.

Also, a future translation of the sequals and sidestories would be a dream come true. Perhaps even some of Yoshi's other stories. One can only hope!

Why do you think people should read Silver Fang – The Shooting Star Gin-?

Read it because it's a really good story! Many people will probably skip it because "Urgh, it's dogs", but the actual story is amazing. It has likeable characters, interesting storylines, incredible plot twists and lots of action. It's never boring. There's always action going on. And it also has some tearjerking moments! Short said: The story is worth reading!

*** edit ***
Am I the only one who used the blog questions? Did I do it wrong? xD

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

FDQ wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:28 pm How did you discover the Silver Fang – The Shooting Star Gin – (Ginga Nagareboshi Gin)?

Back in 1994, a boy from my school brought in a video to class. It was a cartoon with dogs and he said it was really awesome. We ended up watching it. It was of course, Silver Fang. I fell in love with it instantly and when I came back home, I nagged my mom to buy me the cartoon. She agreed to buy the first two volumes of the VHS. Eventually, I nagged enough to get the last two volumes aswell. That's how I first saw Silver Fang and eventually got my own copy of the anime :)

I think the main reason why I love the series so much is probably because it was so different from all the other cartoons I saw at the time. I was only 8 years old and the majority of cartoons available was Disney and cutesy stuff. And here was a cartoon that was extremely exciting, gritty and had elements of bravery, violence, friendships and betrayal. It ticked a lot of boxes that no other cartoon had at the time.

It stuck with me for that many years because it had such a strong impact on me back then. It really touched me to the core in some way.

A more recent reason for loving the series is the collectables. I always collected something throughout my life, but my Silver Fang collection has become my largest collection by far. The fact that you can hunt down old rare merch that is 30 years old and also buy new merch that was released just this month, is great for a collector and fan. The thrill of finding a rare gem to add to your collection is amazing. And so is the thrill of seeing what kind of merch will be released next, be it a plushie or a sticker!

What was your first reaction to the news of Silver Fang – The Shooting Star Gin- being licensed in English?

My first thought was literally: "Probably another petition to get GNG translated to english". I checked around on twitter, gingaboard and mangaplanet to read up all the news about it and it made me so happy! It was NOT a petition. It was an announcement! Finally after 20+ years, I can actually read the manga I've loved for almost my entire life! Had butterflies in my stomach and was smiling from ear to ear!

I'm looking most forward to reading the infamous Wolf arc that was never included in the anime. I haven't read any of the fan translated GNG. I've only ever browsed through the manga, unable to read it. The arc looks so cool and it's very different and seems much more "unnatural" compared to the rest of the manga.

Also, a future translation of the sequals and sidestories would be a dream come true. Perhaps even some of Yoshi's other stories. One can only hope!

Read it because it's a really good story! Many people will probably skip it because "Urgh, it's dogs", but the actual story is amazing. It has likeable characters, interesting storylines, incredible plot twists and lots of action. It's never boring. There's always action going on. And it also has some tearjerking moments! Short said: The story is worth reading!

*** edit ***
You didn't do it wrong, the blog questions are pretty much the same as the 3 questions I used as examples - the blog q's were just for help!
I really like your answers!
Silver_Alchemist
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Silver_Alchemist »

Arano wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:01 pm
FDQ wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:28 pm How did you discover the Silver Fang – The Shooting Star Gin – (Ginga Nagareboshi Gin)?

*** edit ***
You didn't do it wrong, the blog questions are pretty much the same as the 3 questions I used as examples - the blog q's were just for help!
I really like your answers!
Those three questions were just examples? I thought they were the ones we had to answer to enter the giveaway XD
Have a nice day!
Raki
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Raki »

Did we answer wrong questions? O.O
Banner made by Akame, thank you <3

Made by GSDJohn
Thank you!<3

Thank you <3
FDQ
Legend
Legend

Post by FDQ »

hopper wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 5:16 pm
Raki wrote: Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:01 pm Did we answer wrong questions? O.O
yes :tfw_rigel1:
:tfw_aokabuto1: I conclude I must autowin this competition

xD

Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Hang on, no-one has done this wrong! XD
"Reply to this topic with your thoughts on the GNG series, using the blog questions as prompts/help!"
Bold is the task, which you've all done. The blog post questions and the ones I wrote as examples - which were just shorter prompts - were to give your answers structure that is all! Your thoughts are your thoughts :D

I struggle with open-ended questions so thought either the blog or my questions would help I'm sorry for the confusion :tfw_orion1: I'll edit it but please don't feel the need to change what you've already written!

I would suck at being a teacher writing questions wouldn't I lmao
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

Last chance to enter the giveaway!
Flame

Post by Flame »

Very much so! I love how unique it is in itself by being about dogs and not humans. The honor code and loyalty they have with one another is a big love for me and just the flat out fights and violence the series has. Ginga holds back no punches and gives us a little bit realistic look into how real and violent fights and struggles like these are.

It's been quite awhile but I'm fairly certain I discovered it from old AMVs when I was younger. I watched a lot of anime ones and then stumbled upon a clip of this. After that I jumped down the Ginga rabbit hole.

I'd really love for the rest of the Ginga series to be translated as well! But I'd really love for Byakuren no Fangu to be translated as well! Another one of my favorite series from Takahashi.
Arano
Root Admin
Root Admin

Post by Arano »

I popped all your names into a random name picker wheel and the winner is...

RAKI! :tfw_bella2:

Congrats! I will PM you with instructions!

Thank you everyone else for entering!
Wolpard
Defender
Defender

Re: Manga Planet 3 Month Subscription Giveaway! - Congrats Raki!

Post by Wolpard »

congrats Raki!!! Hope you enjoy! :tfw_bella2:

Return to “Main”