Are Maru and Sunny really that unpopular?

General discussion of all things related to Ginga Densetsu Noah.
Vicutooru
Potential
Potential

Are Maru and Sunny really that unpopular?

Post by Vicutooru »

I noticed that some people here do not like Maru and Sunny and i personally do not get why. Sure, there was that incident when they attacked Chibi but it is understandable that they hate bears after all that what happened to their family. Which of course does not justify anything but it does not make me dislike them.
So i wanted to ask if you like or dislike them and why, i am just curious.
:EMPTY:
Jinto
Fighter
Fighter

Re: Are Maru and Sunny really that unpopular?

Post by Jinto »

Like many other characters they don't really do anything that makes me personally like or dislike them
JazzyJazz
Seasoned
Seasoned

Post by JazzyJazz »

Since Chibi is such a useless character who’s only reason for being is to try and “prove” that Sirius isn’t a lunatic with all his bear smooching, I don’t mind them attacking him. I feel like they need more screentime so we can properly see them interact with the other youngsters and stuff.
Leomonade
Friend
Friend

Post by Leomonade »

I think it's their whole cowardly sneaky attitude that makes people dislike them.
I did not like them attacking Chibi, a small child that was accepted into Ohu. But the part that made me annoyed with them was that they are as weak as wet toilet paper but still act and speak like they are the biggest thing ever. Chibi, a baby bear, somehow managed to beat both of them up lol. And yet they somehow don't have the guts to even admit what they were doing. They make up lies to cover up their acts like little babies.
And this behavior continues to GDN where they find an elderly man and then decide to brag and threaten him with the strength and violence of the adults traveling with them.
Every time these 2 get any screentime they act pathetic. There just simply isn't anything likable about them IMO. And them being Jerome's children does not help because I have never liked Jerome and his character has gotten worse as the series has gone on.
As petty as it is of me, I'm pretty sure all the pups that inherited positive character traits from Lydia got killed in TLW lol
Image Image
Shining Sirius
Soldier
Soldier

Post by Shining Sirius »

I don't say this lightly, and I don't enjoy saying it either, but I feel like they deserve their unpopular status.
A lot of characters in Ginga have done bad things: Moss almost crushing Ben to death in a landslide, Kisaragi imprisoning the Ohu dogs in a pit to try and get them to die of thirst or surrender, but the difference, I feel, in Sunny and Maru's case is that they have done literally nothing to atone for their disgusting aggression and racism/speciesism(?).
Whatever people feel towards Chibi as a character doesn't change the fact that he is the innocent party here. Sunny and Maru should rightfully be living with the guilt and shame.

Also, to echo Leomonade, yes, they continue being little brats into GDN too.
Tsukitora
Mentor
Mentor

Post by Tsukitora »

The attack on Chibi does seem to be the main reason several people hate them. But I agree, Vicu, it’s understandable they wouldn’t be so willing to trust a juvenile of the species that recently wiped out half their family. Although such trauma is not a valid excuse to beat up on anyone, I can sympathize with them a bit even if I personally wouldn’t go to that extreme under their circumstances unless there was proof of an actual threat.

I do wish they got more development as well, and an opportunity to mature and understand that species≠morality, and hopefully humble themselves and at least try to become more accepting of Chibi despite their past trauma w/ bear attacks. I ultimately blame Yoshi’s apparent lack of genuine motivation for continuing Ginga (which in turn is likely his publishers’ fault for making him continue beyond TLW in the first place) and the poor, protag-focused writing that’s worsened since TLW for such developments not bothering to happen.

Also, you’d think the offspring of a major GDW character like Jerome - a trained assassin - and a rare elite female character like Lydia - who was a trained Russian army dog - would at least have gotten some degree of training before TLW, especially since they’re only a few days younger than Weed’s kids :EMPTY: Not to mention Hiro’s sons who were a bit older than both other litters >:c One or even more of JeromeXLydia’s kids could’ve easily replaced Andy as the young German shepherd pal in GDWO if Yoshi hadn’t decided to take the cheap “fanservice expy of old favorite character that he regrets killing off” route.
Call me Cammi!
:mukonga: :fuuga: :mangariki: :gdwcross: :gdwakatora: :gdwkurotora: :gin: :lenny: :blue:

Avatar credit to the amazing Kasi!
Sonichu
Defender
Defender

Post by Sonichu »

They are either Orion's cult members or racist nutcases (it might be silly of me but imagining how their actions would be different if they were human is a thought that I would rather not entertain)
Neither of them has ever been disciplined or have a trace of goodness in them. Sad to say but: they are not the only ones who have witnessed their mother die before their eyes, yet they are the only ones that act so aggressively.
Shiruba
Legend
Legend

Post by Shiruba »

I don't really hate Maru and Sunny but I agree with everything said here. They act like they're big shots because they're the sons of one of Ou's top members but they've done nothing to prove themselves. Attacking Chibi was a d*** move for sure, and they acted like spoilt brats about it when questioned by Sirius, but other than that, they're just sort of...there. They've contributed nothing to the story other than being the surviving kids of Jerome. If they had more screen time and grew up a bit, I'd like them more.
Kasi
Retired Admin
Retired Admin

Post by Kasi »

They're violent brats. I really wanted to like them, and its not like I hate them either, but they have no redeeming qualities.
It was pretty fun when the possibility of Sunny being female was still on the table, but alas, of course that wasn't to be XD
Read Ginga Densetsu Weed Orion in English
NEW NEW NEW: Volume 26 now available!
Digsu
Legend
Legend

Post by Digsu »

I think the main issue with Maru and Sunny is that Yoshi usually only gives them screentime when he needs them to do something to move the plot along - and unfortunately he likes to use them for situations that call for a couple youngsters acting like jerks. What I mean is that we never really see them just interact with their father and friends in a normal, wholesome manner, and all we're left with are either scenes where they're just sitting in the background doing nothing or acting like little pricks, and thus we're given the impression that's literally all they are. So maybe they're intended to be just a couple of hot-headed and deeply scarred, but otherwise decent kids, but they're just suffering a bad case of "show, don't tell", who knows.

(side note: I think the incident with Miho and her grandfather is actually a kind of poor example of this, as they were nice enough until Grandpa started being rude to them first. They're certainly not being mature in that scene, but I'd still put most of the blame on Grandpa because actively trying to piss off everyone you run into when you're supposed to be trying your best to stay safe and keep out of fights is, frankly, a catastrophically dumb idea.)

thunderinghowls

Post by thunderinghowls »

As I'm currently reading GDN, I have mixed feelings on them. I think that, in GDN, they are both indeed bratty and generally a nuisance. I can sympathize with them a lot more in GTLW though. Trying to attack Chibi, who obviously never did anything to them, was wrong. I do understand why they were quick to attack him and hate him, as half of their family were violently killed by a bear. I'm sure that they believed that Sirius bringing a bear into Ohu was unjust, and they have every right to feel that way. But Chibi was innocent here, he did nothing wrong to Maru and Sunny personally, and he did nothing to antagonize them. I feel like Maru and Sunny should've actually learned from this situation and left understanding that their actions were incorrect, and that their characters would've grown from this. Instead of making efforts to change though, they still continue to act violently and hasty as the series continues. So for me, it's really hard to say whether I like or dislike them. Despite their bad actions, I think that if their characters actually had some growth, they would be a lot more enjoyable.
Uru
Friend
Friend

Post by Uru »

I don't dislike or like Maru and Sunny. I honestly can't even tell them apart...

I think it is easy to dislike Maru and Sunny simply as they are acting like jerks - but I think it is also reaction to the fact that they are often at the middle of negative parts of the story. I kind of feel like every now and then they are the last straw when people are already bored or annoyed with something: Maru & Sunny attacked Chibi when there was absolutely nothing happening at Last Wars. The whole scene with Ohu army and old dog at Noah was strange and out of character for all characters. The way Jerome ignores Maru/Sunny when he was kidnapped by aliens. And also how their gender changed during the TLW and how they died during Orion.

Somehow Maru and Sunny point out lot of illogical things in story or emphasize wrong part of story and that annoys people.
Gingaddict
Comrade
Comrade

Post by Gingaddict »

I don't like them mainly because I don't get why only in Last Wars were they suddenly given attention, where was that in Ginga Orion? Also why only them, they had four other siblings and they just kick them to the side. They're not given much personality except to be rude and attacking Chibi is the only thing they're really known for and I hated that! He did nothing to them.

So yeah, I don't like them, also making all the pups male? AGAIN??? COME ON, YOSHI! GIVE US A STRONG GIRL APART FROM CROSS! :bella4:
I did a Ginga dog horoscope and according my calculations, I am most like Gin! Am I lucky?

I took one of those 'Which character are you?' tests, one which happened to be Ginga related and it said I would
be most like Tesshin! I feel quite honoured!
AkaiTsuki

Post by AkaiTsuki »

They haven't had enough time in the spotlight or feats for people to grow fond of them yet. I personally hope whatever may follow up from where Noah left, if there will eventually be another manga series, expands few characters a little more.
"We must remember what truly matters."
Nara
Potential
Potential

Post by Nara »

They just don't have any charisma. Which is kind of an achievement, really, considering who their parents were.

Return to “Ginga Densetsu Noah”